Ms. Shirley Westeinde
C.M., Chair, Westeinde Group of Companies
The Group specializes in Development, Property Management, Leasing and Green Building Design and Development. Shirley is a graduate of the Victoria Hospital School of Nursing in London, Ontario and the University of Western Ontario. She worked first in the nursing field before staying home to raise a family. In 1978 she and her husband John, incorporated Westeinde Construction Ltd, but over the years, and with the second generation involved, they have changed their focus from a company that specialized in Construction, to the Development and Property Management of Projects.
Over the years Shirley has participated on numerous business, Economic Development and Charitable Boards and Organizations. She was the first female Chair of many Associations, including the Canadian Construction Association, and The Building Owner Managers Association, she is also Past Chair of Algonquin College.
Shirley continues to be active in the community and is currently:
- Past Chair of Success by Six – a program to ensure that every child in Ottawa under the age of 6 receives the nurturing both physical and mental to be able to enter school on a level playing field as every other child, now called “Growing up Great”.
- Immediate Past Chair of the University of Ottawa Mental Health Research Institute
- A Member of the Board of Directors and Executive of the Ottawa Health Research Institute
- A Director of the Royal Ottawa Hospital
- An Honorary Lt. Colonel of the 33rd Services Batallion.
- Shirley has received many awards over her career, including, the Woman of Distinction Award, the Women’s Business Achievement Award, the Bnai Brith Award of Merit , the Queen’s Jubilee Medal, an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Ottawa, and the Order of Canada.
- Shirley and her husband John have three children and nine grandchildren.